Organised Labour to proceed on indefinite strike as Speaker pleads

Spread the love

 

The Organised labour has said it would proceed on an indefinite strike from Oct. 3, following hardship caused by fuel subsidy removal.

This is contained in a Communique jointly signed by Mr Festus Osifo, President Trade Union Congress (TUC), and Mr Joe Ajaero, President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), on Tuesday in Abuja.

The communique was issued at the end of a joint National Executive Council meeting of the two unions.

Mr Osifo, said the NLC/TUC NEC-in-session, had resolved to proceed “on an indefinite and total shutdown of the nation beginning zero hours, Tuesday, the 3rd day of October, 2023

He said the strike was in a bid to “rescue our nation.”

The TUC President said all workers in Nigeria would withdraw their services from their respective workplaces from the said date.

He also said all affiliates and state councils had been directed to commence mobilisation to organise street protests and rallies “until Government responds positively to our demands.”

See also  Acute food insecurity looming in Gaza-Palestinian Envoy

Meanwhile, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Tajudeen Abbas, has urged organised labour to shelve planned strike

He made the appeal while addressing his colleagues at the resumption of plenary on Tuesday.

resumed from over eight weeks recess said embarking on a strike at this point would only aggravate the nation’s “already bad situation”.

He said the National Assembly would interface between government and labour to “quickly work out realistic new national minimum wage and other palliatives.

“This is to enable citizens to cope with the economic realities occasioned by the subsidy removal.

Quest Newsreports  that the NLC had early September, embarked on a two-day warning strike over the impact of petrol subsidy removal.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top